Since 1902, the KC Ad Club has played an active role in the advertising, marketing and communications industry in the greater Kansas City area. As a 501(c) 6 trade and professional association, KC Ad Club serves the advertising and marketing industry through educational programming, volunteer opportunities and networking.
We’re also a member of AAF District 9, which serves the advertising communities in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, and AAF National. And we boast nearly 2,000 members throughout the greater metropolitan area.
We’re not the type to brag, but it’s safe to say we’re one of the largest and oldest AAF clubs in the country. So, we’re a pretty big deal.
Our mission is to foster a cohesive creative culture within the Kansas City advertising industry and promote it to the rest of the country.
We don’t do it alone. KC Ad Club is one club that houses another organization, Ad 2 Kansas City, which is the local chapter of Ad 2 National serving advertising professionals age 32 and younger. Ad 2 focuses on welcoming fresh, young talent to Kansas City and providing opportunities to network and grow skillsets through volunteering with our Virtual Agency public service campaign every year.
Here’s to our fearless board members who make it all happen.
2020-2021 KC Ad Club Board of Directors
- President Marianne Gjerstad // Fuel Team Lead/Producer at Barkley
- Immediate Past President Sara Sullivan // Principal, Relationship Director at Tasty Branding
- VP of Finance Sheree Johnson // President/CEO at SJ Insights
- VP Team Lead Hannah Bower // Director, Client Strategy at GlynnDevins
- Outreach Lead Brian Brooker // VP MarCom at Garmin
- Comms Lead Katie Snyder // Project Manager at DMH
- Creative Lead Roy Milton // Associate Creative Director at VMLY&R
- Creative Lead Jordan Warren // Marketing Copywriter at DEG, an Isobar Company
- VP Team Lead Andy Grollmes // Project Management Lead at Woodruff
- Outreach Lead Bryan Herrman // SVP, Insights & Strategy at GlynnDevins
- Comms Lead Josie Black // Associate Director, SEO at Intouch Solutions
- Creative Lead Seth Gunderson // Ventures Director at Signal Theory
- Creative Lead David Sullivan // Graphic Designer
- VP Team Lead Jordan Haiduk // Senior Producer at Signal Theory
- Outreach Lead Jamie Beard // Communications Manager at VMLY&R
- Comms Lead Anne Fundakowski // Digital Marketing Director at Mediavo
- Creative Lead Katie Hilty // Creative Manager at MMC Corp
- Creative Lead Austin Walsh // Director / Photographer at Austin Walsh Studio
KC Ad Club Programming
American Advertising Awards
As the largest and most representative advertising competition, the American Advertising Awards attracts more than 40,000 entries in local AAF competitions, including KC Ad Club. Enter your best work and join us for an evening recognizing and rewarding creative excellence in the art of advertising
While the American Advertising Awards celebrates amazing work, the Journey Awards honors the remarkable people behind it. Celebrate leading advertising professionals in Kansas City with us as we honor a young professional of the year, a creative professional of the year, an advertising professional of the year, a trailblazer and a Silver Medal Award winner.
Diversity & Inclusion Series
KC Ad Club is dedicated to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion within the Kansas City advertising community. Everyone is welcome at these events, where discussions are held, facilitations are conducted, all persons are treated with respect, and diverse thoughts and opinions are celebrated and encouraged.
Professional Speaker Series
Education is one of the leading pillars of the KC Ad Club. To facilitate continued learning in your career, KC Ad Club seeks out renowned speakers on topics like creative thinking, nonprofit fundraising, the power of data and the art of the pitch. Got an idea for a speaking event? Tell us and join our event committee to make it happen.
The Kansas City Advertising Club was organized in August of 1902 by Russell Whitman, advertising manager of The Kansas City Journal newspaper. The club’s early mission was to keep the local advertising community informed of developing business trends and ideas. The organization gained national notoriety when its leaders attracted the annual convention of the Associated Advertising Clubs of America to Kansas City in 1908. In addition to its regular activities, the group began to administer advertising classes in 1911 and formerly created the Kansas City Advertising School in 1920. The school was open to men and women who wished to study advertising and merchandising techniques. The group’s regular meetings and luncheons were held in downtown hotel rooms and banquet halls until 1944 when the organization took up residence within the Sedate Building, formerly occupied by the Kansas City School of Law, at 913 Baltimore Avenue. At that time the formal name of the club was changed to the Advertising and Sales Executives Club in order to attract new members to the organization. In 1976 the club became the Advertising and Marketing Club and during the mid-1980s it became known simply as the Advertising (Ad) Club. The club sold the Sedate Building in 1979 and relocated to a new headquarters at 92nd Street and Ward Parkway. The organization returned to downtown Kansas City in 2002, taking up residence at 1625 Oak Street. Learn more here.